The mission of the Fulton County Probation Department is to affect positive change in juvenile and criminal offender behavior through the use of evidence based probation practice, consistent with the rules and regulations set forth by the New York State Office of Probation and Correctional Alternatives, which enhances public safety through the reduction of recidivism.
The Juvenile Services Unit provides three major services:
- Intake of incoming Juvenile Delinquency cases, which are diverted from the Family Court and supervised and adjusted by the Probation Department.
- The completion of Pre-Dispositional Investigations of juveniles referred to Family Court.
- he supervision of juveniles sentenced by Family Court to Probation, Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal (ACOD), or Conditional Discharge.
The Adult Services Unit:
- Completes probation reports for the Courts in Fulton County, which aid the Courts in determining the appropriate dispositions for offenders.
- Provides supervision of the adult offenders who are placed on probation.
- Drug Treatment Court
- Sex Offender Intensive Supervision Program
- Ignition Interlock Monitoring
Probation occurs immediately following sentencing AFTER a person has been convicted of a crime and may or may not include jail time, Community Service, Restitution, and / or other measures intended to to achieve accountability and positive change.
Parole supervision occurs AFTER an individual has served a state mandated portion of their prison sentence and is once again permitted to re-enter the community but required continued supervision until the term of their prison sentence has reached its maximum date.